There are different ways in which you can obtain the Max value in Excel, given a set of values… In this post, I’ll show you the following 3 ways that you can use in order to obtain the Max value in Excel 2010:
(1) Using the MAX formula
(2) Using the AutoSum under the ‘Home’ tab
(3) Using the ‘Insert Function’
But before we start, you’ll need to input the values in Excel. You will then have the opportunity to apply each of the 3 methods above to identify the maximum value.
For illustration purposes, I chose a simple set of numbers: 22, 55, 38, 79, 63. You can apply the same principles to a much larger set of numbers.
Your Excel spreadsheet should look as follows:
Using MAX formula to obtain the maximum value in Excel
To use the MAX formula in Excel, simply follow the steps below:
(1) First, double-click on cell A6, and then type the following “=MAX(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5)”
Please note that the values within the brackets of your MAX formula (i.e., A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) represent the cells where your set of numbers are located…
While, cell A6 represents the location where the result of your MAX formula will be populated.
(2) Press Enter. You’ll now see that the maximum value of 79 will appear in cell A6.
79 is indeed the maximum value across the five numbers in our data-set:
But what if you have a large data-set of numbers? Typing (or selecting) each individual cell in your MAX formula will be a tedious task.
Luckily, you can also specify the range of cells where you’d like to apply the MAX formula.
In our example, you’ll need to double click cell A6 and type: “=MAX(A1:A5)”
This will give you the maximum value across the range of cells A1 to A5:
Finally, press Enter, and you’ll get the same maximum number of 79:
Using AutoSum to obtain the Max value in Excel
Another way that you can get the max value in Excel is by using AutoSum under the ‘Home’ Tab:
(1) First, you’ll need to select the range of cells A1 to A5
(2) Then, press the drop-down arrow next to the AutoSum button
(3) Finally, select the ‘Max’ option from the drop-down menu
If you follow the above steps, you’ll get the same maximum value of 79 in cell A6:
Using the ‘Insert Function’ to obtain the Max Value in Excel
The third method in which you can obtain the maximum value in Excel is by using the Insert Function.
This method requires few more steps, but will provide you with the same results.
(1) First select the cell A6. As before, this will be the cell where your maximum value will be populated
(2) Press the fx button
(3) A new menu will pop out (i.e., the ‘Insert Function’ menu). You’ll now need to pick the ‘MAX’ option
(4) Then, press OK
(5) The ‘Function Arguments’ menu will now appear on your screen. Make sure that the range of cells specified in the ‘Number1’ box is A1:A5.
This is the range of cells where your maximum formula will be applied:
(6) Press OK and you’ll now see the maximum value of 79 populated in cell A6:
There are different types of formulas or functions that you can use in Excel.